Dr. Murat Kaya
Aksaray University, Faculty of Science and Letters, Department of Biotechnology and Molecular Biology, 68100, Aksaray, Turkey
Murat Kaya (20 August 1981) received his undergraduate degree in Biology from Karadeniz Technical University, Turkey in 2003. Kaya received his master and PhD in Biology from Ankara University, Turkey in 2005 and 2008, respectively. He studies on zooplankton taxonomy, ecology and molecular phylogeny during his master and PhD. He started working as an Assistant Prof. in Department of Biology, Aksaray University, Turkey in February 2009. He got a position to work as an Assoc. Prof. in 2011 in Aksaray University. Now, he has been working as a Professor in Department of Biotechnology and Molecular Biology, Aksaray University.
Kaya studied under the Erasmus Program in Gent University, Belgium for 8 months (02.01.2006- 31.08.2006). He also studied under the Erasmus Program in Imperial College, London, UK for 8 months (10.01.2008-10.09.2008). He has a scholarship from â€œThe Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK 2219) and he has been in University of California Merced, USA from 1st of June, 2017 (until 1st of April, 2018).
Dr. Kaya is interested in zooplankton taxonomy, focusing on rotifers by using morphological and molecular techniques. He has been working on biopolymer isolation from diverse organisms and characterizing them by using the techniques such as FT-IR, TGA, DSC, XRD, NMR, SEM, TEM, AFM, confocal and different kinds of light microscopies since 2012. He is looking at material science from biological perspective. He and his co-workers published more than 87 research articles 1245 Citations and 225 Cumulative impact factors. and found very important discoveries, some of the selected ones are;
- Bad guano can be an important chitin and chitosan source (2014)
- A new surface morphology (only nanoporous morphology) for chitin was described from wings of cockroach (2015)
- The chitin samples isolated from different body parts of insects have different physicochemical properties (2016-2017)
- Antimicrobial, antioxidant and antitumoral properties of chitosan samples from diverse organisms were studied (2015-2017)
- Determination and characterization of chitin in the phyla Bryozoa and Tardigrada for the first time (2016, 2017)
- Î³-chitin was described in detail for the first time (2017)
Dr. Murat is also an active referee/reviewer for the following journals;
Journal of Cleaner Production, Food Hydrocolloids, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, PLOS ONE, Carbohydrate Polymers, Materials Science and Engineering C
ernational J. Biol. Macromolecules, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, Food & Function, Reactive and Functional Polymers Starch, Insectes Sociaux, Limnologica, Advances in Polymer Technology, Natural Product Research