Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC)
Higher Education Commission aims to develop and sustain a dynamic and internationally competitive research sector in Pakistan that makes a major contribution to economic prosperity, national well being and the expansion and dissemination of knowledge. Promotion of Research is one of the core strategic aims of Higher Education Commission. Through the program and initiatives launched by Higher Education Commission for strengthening research and the process of knowledge creation, the quality and research output emanating from the universities and institutes in the country have shown tremendous improvements and Pakistan has been acknowledged as rising star in a number of research disciplines in terms of percentage increase in internationally cited research publications. Yet, this is no more than an end of a beginning and we need not only to sustain and improve this trend but also contemplate on questions of relevance and economic, social and academic impact of the research.
In pursuit of this end, Higher Education Commission has started working to organize the research activities of universities/HEIs ensuring availability of well-established and fully functional ORIC (Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialization). The ORICs will provide strategic and operational support to the University’s research activities/program, and will have a central role in facilitating the University’s research outcomes.
The Syndicate in its 10th meeting, held on Monday, 9th July, 2012 has approved the establishment of Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Women University. The responsibility of the office of ORIC may be carried out by the existing staff of the University.
The ORIC seeks to enhance the environment for all research and scholarship by:
- Supporting the university’s strategic research directions and policies.
- Increasing and diversifying external research funding.
- Improving recruitment and retention of top faculty.
- Improving integration of research and education at all levels of the university.
- Improving translation of research into the public benefit.
- Strengthening university-industry relationships.
- Promoting entrepreneurship, technology-transfer and commercialization activities that energize and support the local and national economy.
- Promoting and enhancing cross-cutting and multi-disciplinary research initiatives.
The purpose of the Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC) is to develop, expand, enhance and manage the university’s research programs and to link research activities directly to the educational, social and economic priorities of the university and its broader community. The ORIC is also responsible for assuring that the quality of research reflects the highest international standards and advances the stature of the university among the world’s best research institutions.
In pursuit of this mission the ORIC has the responsibility of guaranteeing that all research programs and policies reflect the core values of academic freedom, professional integrity and ethical conduct and full compliance with all policies, legal requirements and operational standards of the university.
SOPs for Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialization (ORICs)
- Once ORICs are established all the research proposals to HEC/other agencies etc. must be processed through ORICs.
- Submission of Research proposals relevant to Pakistan Socio-Economic needs.
- Updation of data regarding funding/donor agencies.
- Establishment of links with donors.
- Establishment of links with Industries
- Arrange/conduct seminars, conferences and training programs for faculty awareness and faculty industry interaction.
- Identify regional expertise and requirements.
- Arrange International trainings and workshops.
- Arrange trainings and workshops at national level.
- Arrange International Seminars/Symposium.
- Arrange Seminars/Symposium at national level.
- Develop business plans
- Maintain a webpage for ORIC on the main website of the respective university and regularly update the same to make all the ORIC related activities, ranging from research proposals to information regarding donor agencies and industrial linkages established, reflected on the website.